Raven On-Landing Parachute Release - Product Preview
The Raven On-Landing Parachute Release (ROPR) is a patent pending device that allows a parachute to be automatically released from a payload upon landing. This mitigates possible damage caused by wind that could otherwise drag a valuable payload after landing. This type of device has many applications for situations where having the parachute detach after landing is a huge benefit. A few of the many scenarios include:
Releasing the parachute upon landing so the wind cannot drag valuable payload such as drones, UAV or rockets.
Use with water drop payloads such as sonobuoys where the payload needs to detach after splashdown.
Use with airdrop cargo systems.
The ROPR is entirely mechanical and can be packed and stowed indefinitely with the parachute. Aside from keeping the ROPR clean, no other maintenance is required.
How it Works
In order to work reliably, the ROPR has an internal hold timer that assures the parachute will not be released early after initial deployment due to opening bounce or other deployment shocks. The hold timer locks the device while the parachute is opening and unstable. After being under chute in steady descent for between 4 to 6 seconds (at 75 °F), the hold timer rotates to allow for release only after the landing - when the pull of the parachute unloads. Under no conditions can the parachute release early as long as the main parachute is open and the ROPR remains under load.
- Maximum Recommended Recovery Weight - 100 lbs (50 Kg)
- Minimum Recommended Recovery Weight - 7 lbs (3.2 kg)
- Maximum Sustained Pull Force - 800 lbs (360 Kg)
- Maximum Shock Load - 1500 lbs (680 Kg)
- Hold lock time at 75 °F (24 °C) - from 4 to 6 seconds
- Hold lock time at 14 °F (-10 °C) - from 6 to 12 seconds
- Hold lock time at 122 °F (50 °C) - from 3.5 to 7 seconds
- Minimum operational temperature - 14 °F (-10 °C)
- Maximum operational temperature - 122 °F (50 °C)
- Weight - 4.7 oz (132 g)
- Overall length - 6” (152 mm)
- Body diameter - 1.13” (28.7 mm)
- Aluminum Finish - Yellow or Blue Anodizing
- Upper and lower shells - 6061-T6511
- Catch pin and top extension - 17-4 high strength stainless steel
- Catch bearing - Harnened stainless steel ball baring
Limited quantities are available now for testing and evaluation. Please Contact Us for pricing and availability.
Below are photos taken in September showing the Raven On-Landing Parachute Release being used on a high power rocket. The sequence shows the moments just before release, at touchdown, and after release.